Andrew Feldman (Andy) is a Visiting Fellow at the Center for Children and Families in the Economic Studies program at the Brookings Institution. He also hosts the Gov Innovator podcast to share insights with results-focused leaders at the federal, state and local levels.
His work focuses on helping public agencies use evidence, data and innovation to better achieve their missions. It also focuses on evidence-based strategies to reduce poverty and expand opportunity.
His previous positions include:
- Special Advisor on the Evidence Team at the White House Office of Management and Budget in the Obama Administration, including a year detail at the U.S. Department of Education.
- One of the top three appointed leaders at Wisconsin’s labor department, an agency of 1,600, under Governor Jim Doyle.
- Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Gov. Doyle.
- Special Assistant to the Secretary of Administration and Finance in Massachusetts.
- Staff Economist at the White House Council of Economic Advisors in the Clinton Administration.
- Special Assistant to the President at MDRC, the social policy research organization.
Andy enjoys teaching when he can. He has taught public management courses at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the University of Singapore and the Harvard Kennedy School. His book What Works in Work-First Welfare (Upjohn Institute Press) examines why some welfare-to-work programs are better than others at helping people become and stay employed.
- Op-ed with Robert Shea: “Four ways Jared Kushner can modernize government.” Politico. April 2017.
- Op-ed with Benjamin Castleman: “Agencies Need to Get Savvy About Low-Cost Program Evaluation.” Government Executive. March 2017.
- Op-ed with Seth Harris: “Here’s Something We Can All Agree On: Agencies Need to Deliver Results.” Government Executive. March 2017.
- Op-ed with Demetra Nightingale: “Reduce government bureaucracy? What Trump and Congress can do.” The Hill. Feb. 2017.
- Op-ed with Robert Doar: “Trump Should Support Bipartisan “Evidence Based” Revolution.” Real Clear Policy. Feb. 2017.
- Report: “Strengthening results-focused government: Strategies to build on bipartisan progress in evidence-based policy.” The Brookings Institution. Jan. 2017.
- Policy brief with Ron Haskins: “Low-Cost Randomized Controlled Trials.” Evidence-Based Policymaking Collaborative. Nov. 2016.
- Policy brief: “PerformanceStat.” Evidence-Based Policymaking Collaborative. Sept. 2016.
- Policy brief with Ron Haskins: “Tiered-Evidence Grantmaking.” Evidence-Based Policymaking Collaborative. Sept. 2016.